What is Discovering Christ?
Discovering Christ is a seven-week experience where anyone and everyone, from the baptized in the pews to the unbaptized, is invited to hear the Good News and personally encounter Jesus Christ. Discovering Christ helps people enter into or renew a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, experience the love of God the Father, and be empowered by the Holy Spirit to live as God’s children.
What does a typical session look like?
Discovering Christ consists of seven weekly sessions and a retreat day. The weekly sessions include four components:
1. a complimentary meal: the meal is a time to foster relationships and grow in friendship with one another,
2. prayer time: the prayer time consists of singing together a couple of songs that help the group become comfortable praying together,
3. a video teaching: The video sessions proclaim, with beauty and simplicity, the core Gospel message and invite participants to make a personal response to Jesus Christ,
4. and small group discussion: small groups are places for people to freely discuss what they heard in the teaching.
“Discovering Christ has touched hundreds of lives at St. Martin de Porres since we began the series in 2010, and as a result it has impacted the life of our entire parish. It’s been a springboard for a renewed faith for people in the pews, as well as for many who have been away from the Catholic Church for years.”
– Msgr. James Sullivan, St. Martin de Porres, Poughkeepsie, NY
“During Discovering Christ I found the answers to the deeper questions I had been asking. I didn’t just learn that Jesus loved me and died on the cross for me. I actually experienced that love!”
– JJ Reed
Photo from our first session of Discovering Chirst, Fall 2016